Reflection's Flora and Fauna
A collection of my photos of flora and fauna, and maybe now and then,
something else that catches my attention and just will not let go.
Maybe even with little verbage, which is pretty hard for this gal.



Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The End of the Hike, F*I*R*E

.
Summer of 2011 brought more danger and heartache to Alabama, and particularly to Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores, Alabama.

Due to the drought (they are still close to 20 inches below a normal year's rainfall) there was a fire.  I have seen figures that it burned between 900 and 1000 acres of the park.

This is what it looks like in one of the areas that burned.


Below, a closer look:


Man and I have been taking long walks here in the park, it is a park made for walking and biking.  While walking in this burnt area the other day, the trail suddenly stopped:


If you look at the left side of the photo you can see the charred remains of the foundation timbers of what was a bridge crossing this small canal of water.

For the "Good News" resulting from the fire of 2011, you may find this article interesting, I know, I did.




.

1 comment:

Éire Historian said...

It's so sad to see such beauty destroyed, but it's amazing how Mother Nature is able to regenerate. If only human beings could do the same. Thanks for sharing great photos! :)