Reflection's Flora and Fauna
A collection of my photos of flora and fauna, and maybe now and then,
something else that catches my attention and just will not let go.
Maybe even with little verbage, which is pretty hard for this gal.



Monday, March 7, 2011

Burn and Live On, the Fan Palm

During a break while hiking in the Indian Canyons, Palm Springs, California, Man had a chat with one of the guides.  The guide suggested we look very closely at the fan palms while we hiked.  Seems a number of years ago a far reaching fire swept through the canyon and burned most everything.  The palms hold a lot of water in the trunk, so even though the palm fronds may burn, the tree could and in many cases did survive.  I found this good example of just what the guide had explained.  Same photo, cropped and enlarged.




1 comment:

Gini said...

Wow, very interesting. I do recall when the fires occurred. We have several areas around here that look similar. I didn't know that Palms hold water in their trunks though...thank you Carol. I am glad to see these trees have survived.